Sir Henry Drummond (Charles - this noted from one reference) Wolff, P.C., G.C.B., G.C.M.G. Born 1830 and died 11th October 1908. Was the son of the German Jewish/Catholic/Anglican missionary and explorer (sometimes nude) of Central Asia, the Rev. Dr. Joseph Wolff (1795-1862) and Georgiana Walpole daughter of the 2nd Earl of Orford. Educated at Rugby. He was a clerk in the foreign office 1846, employed in Florence, the Ionian Islands, Bulgaria, Turkey, Egypt, Servia, Roumania and Spain. Conservative M.P. for Christchurch 1874 - 80, Portsmouth 1880 - 85. Co-founder of the Primrose League 1883. Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary at Madrid, 1892 - 1900.
Sir Henry was a notable raconteur, and he did good service to the Conservative Party by helping to found the Primrose League. He was created GCMG in 1878 and GCB in 1889. His grandson, Henry Maxence Cavendish Drummond Wolff was also briefly a Conservative Member of Parliament.
A scheme for the development in what it described as the 'picturesque Village of Boscombe Spa' was prepared for the Malmesbury Estate in about 1866 or 1877 to make available building plots for the erection of marine villas to be let on long leases.
The Spa was related to a natural spring of mineral water containing properties similar to Harrogate which had been discovered near the foot of the hill; this would be available for invalids and could combine the advantages of a Spa with those of sea air and bathing.
The scheme was not implemented; instead about 19 acres of land was obtained by Sir Henry Drummond Wolff, on part of which he built a house for himself named Boscombe Towers, in 1868, Sir Henry became closely associated with the development of Boscombe Spa for a considerable number of years.
Sir Henry recorded in his memoirs that he had bought from Lord Malmesbury a small building property near the sea in the neighbourhood of Bournemouth. He laid out the land in building sites, for the erection of villas, designed in a variety of styles by Robert Edis, FRIBA. Several sites on the main road were for shops, so that an area near the Crescent became the shopping centre for the Spa.
Several roads in the area were given names associated with the Drummond Wolff family. Georgina for his mother, Walpole and Orford for his mother's family, Adeline for his wife and his daughter, Horace and Cecil for his two sons, Drummond and Wolff for himself. Other roads were named after his political associates; Churchill and Randolph for Lord Randolph Churchill, Borthwick and Wharncliffe for others, Owls Road after the political journal to which Sir Henry was a contributor for some years. Roumelia Lane related to the East Roumelia Commission of 1878 of which Sir Henry was a leading member.