- THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE -
primroseLORD POLTIMORE - PRIMROSE LEAGUE CHANCELLOR - 1895.
Coat-of-Arms
primrose

2nd Lord PoltimoreLord Poltimore, Augustus Frederick George Warwick Bampfylde P.C., D.L. & J.P., 7th Baronet (Cr 1641) and 2nd Baron (Cr 1831).
Born in London on 12th April 1837, was the only son of George Bampfylde, 1st Baron Poltimore, and his second wife Caroline, daughter of General Frederick William Buller, and succeeded his father in the barony in 1858. Educated at Harrow and Christ Church, Oxford. He sat on the Liberal benches in the House of Lords and served in the first Liberal administration of William Gladstone as Treasurer of the Household from 1872 to 1874. Alderman of Devon County Council and High Steward of South Molten. Was a Major in the 1st Devon Yeomanry. Changed political views, became a Conservative and in 1895 he was Chancellor of the Primrose League.
Lord Poltimore married Florence Sara Wilhelmine, daughter of Richard Brinsley Sheridan M.P., in 1858.
Addresses: 127, Sloane St. London. S.W., Poltimore Park, Exeter and Court Hall, North Molton, both within Devonshire.
He owned around 20,000 acres (1901). Clubs: Marlborough and Carlton.
He died in May 1908, aged 71, and was succeeded in the barony by his son Coplestone. Lady Poltimore died in 1909.

The 3rd Baron, Coplestone Richard George Warwick Bampfylde, died in 1918 and in 1921 the estate was put for sale but the house and the grounds remained in the 4th Lord Poltimore's (George Wentworth Warwick Bampfylde - 1882-1965) ownership until 1944.

The 5th Lord Poltimore was Arthur Blackett Warwick Bampfylde (1883-1967), 2nd son of 3rd Baron.

The 6th Lord Poltimore was Hugh de Burgh Warwick Bampfylde (1888-1978), youngest brother of 5th Baron.

The present Lord Poltimore is Sir Mark Coplestone Bampfylde, 12th Baronet and 7th Baron.
Succeeded his Grandfather in 1978 as his father, Captain The Hon. Anthony Gerald Hugh Bampfylde, died in 1969.
A renowned auctioneer, joined Christies in 1977 to become Director and Head of the 19th Century Picture Department (1986-1998). He was appointed Chairman of Christies in Australia (1998-2000) and Managing Director of Christies (London) Auction Room (2000-2002). Now Chairman of Sotheby's UK and Sotheby's Russia.

The "Poltimore Tiara", from the Collection of the late, HRH The Princess Margaret.
Poltimore Tiara Designed as a graduated line of cushion-shaped and old-cut diamond clusters alternating with diamond-set scroll motifs, each surmounted by old-cut diamond terminals, mounted in silver and gold, convertible to a necklace and eleven brooches. Made in 1870 by Garrard's for Florence, Lady Poltimore, the wife of the 2nd Baron Poltimore. Sold by public auction on 29th January 1959 for £5,500 as "a highly important tiara" belonging to the Right Honourable Lord Poltimore, the 4th Baron Poltimore (1882-1965). It was sold by Christie's, London for $1,704,600 in their sale of 13/14th June 2006.

Poltimore Estate, near Exeter.
Poltimore House The estate was sold in 1921, ending 600 years of ownership by the Bampfyldes, although the house remained in their ownership. It was leased as a girls school - Poltimore College; then a home for the evacuated Dover College. Sold in 1944/1945 it changed to a private hospital and then became part of the National Health Service until 1975.
Post 1975, subsequent owners were not so careful as for the last 20 years the House has been allowed to decay, being vandalised, set alight, pillaged and looted. The Poltimore House Trust formed in 2000 and The Friends of Poltimore House formed in 2004 has taken over the ravaged estate and, with help from East Devon District Council and English Heritage, is now seeking end uses and grants to achieve the restoration of Poltimore to its former eminence.

Court Hall, North Molton.
Court Hall, North MoltonA report of 1850 states " Court Hall, a fine old Jacobean mansion, which was enlarged and much improved about fifteen years ago, and stands in a well-wooded park, east of the church. Lord Poltimore is also the owner of Court House, being west of the church, a large ancient mansion, finely mantled with ivy, and formerly belonging to the Earl of Morley. His Lordship owns most of the parish, being in the neighbourhood of Exmoor Forest."

Court Hall is now (2008) a Hotel offering Bed & Breakfast.


Index Page
References:
Who's Who 1900, 1901, 1922, 1964, 1966, 1972, 1977 and 1980.
Kelly's handbook of the Titled, Landed and Official Classes. 1899.
Various Internet Documents.
Debrett's Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage. 1905.
- THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE -