- THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE -
primrose

The Carlile Family and The Primrose League.

primrose

The Carlile family was (and probably still is) a large group, with members spread all over the world -- noted locations are: Ireland, Scotland, Canada, Australia, U.S.A., Jamaica and New Zealand.
Only those descended from William Carlile of London have been studied.
Localised Familytree.

EDWARD CARLILE.

Although a life long Conservative there is no evidence, so far, to tie him in with the Primrose League (founded 1883). He died on 28th October 1901, at his residence, 'Kingsbury', Richmond.

Col. Sir (EDWARD) HILDRED CARLILE C.B.E., 1st Bart.

Was the second son of Edward Carlile of Richmond, born on 10th July 1852 and educated privately in England and abroad. He adopted a commercial career and became a partner in the firm of Jonas Brook & Brothers, Meltham Mills, Huddersfield. When this firm merged with J. & P. Coats Ltd, he became a Director of that Company.
From Vanity Fair
23-12-09 by ELF.
In politics he was a Conservative and in 1900 contested Huddersfield, but was defeated by 7896 votes to 6831. In 1906 he contested the St. Albans Division of Hertfordshire, and was successful by 5856 votes to 5304, he remained their M.P. until 1919. During the sessions of 1906-7-8 he was one of the most regular supporters of the Opposition in the House of Commons.
London Gazette Entry.
As a keen soldier he took much interest in the Yeomanry and Volunteers, in which his record was as follows:- 2nd West Yorks Yeomanry Cavalry (afterwards merged in the Yorkshire Dragoons). Sub-Lieutenant, 15th April, 1874. Lieutenant, 10th July 1885. Captain, 6th July 1889. He was Lieut.-Colonel Commanding the 2nd Volunteer Battalion West Riding Regiment, 1898 to 1904. Was made Hon. Colonel of the Battalion from 23rd June, 1906.
The Lusitania Passenger list shows that Sir E.H.Carlile M.P. left Liverpool and arrived in the U.S.A. on 17th Sept 1911 and that he was not a Polyamist or an Anarchist and that he was to stay in the Waldorf Astoria, New York.
He had an interest in religious and philanthropic societies and was Vice-President of the Church Army. He was formerly a member of the Huddersfield School Board and was a J.P. for Herts, the West Riding of Yorkshire, and for the Borough of Huddersfield.
He was a Member of the 'Primrose League Grand Council', this recorded in the Primrose League Handbook for 1913.
On 22nd August 1876 he married Isabella, third daughter of Cornelius Hanbury of Manor House, Little Berkhampstead, Herts. Mrs. (Edward) Hildred Carlile was born 27th May 1855 and during the thirty years that she and her family lived in Yorkshire, she took much interest in the Young Women's Christian Association, and had a large class in connection with that organisation. Later she became interested in the Mothers Union. She was a 'Grand Dame of the Primrose League', and identified herself with her husband's political work in various ways. They had five children. Mr. and Mrs. (Edward) Hildred Carlile have resided, since 1906, at Ponsbourne Park, near Hertford, a property acquired by them from his uncle. This estate of 760 acres (now 570 - C.1908) was purchased by Mr. J. W. Carlile in 1875 from the Wynn Ellis family, and it was there that a portion of the Wynn Ellis collection of pictures, now owned by the National Gallery, was previously hung.
He died on 26th Sep 1942 aged 90, the Baronetage then became extinct.
Who's Who 1922 Entry.
Ponsbourne Park.

Kelly's 1923 Entry.

Major EDWARD HILDRED HANBURY CARLILE.

Extract from the C.W.G.C. Records.

Rank: Major.
London Gazette Entry.
Regiment: Hertfordshire Yeomanry.
Secondary Regiment: Hertfordshire Regiment.
Secondary Unit Text: attd.
Age: 37.
Date of Death: 22-03-1918.
Additional information: Only son of Col. Sir Edward Hildred Carlile, 1st Bart., C.B.E., and the late Lady Carlisle, of Ponsbourne Park, near Hertford; husband of the late Ruth M. Carlile (afterwards Mrs. Preston).
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead.
Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 1.
Cemetery: ARRAS MEMORIAL.
Country: France.
Locality: Pas de Calais.
Visiting Information: The Panel (or Bay) numbers quoted at the end of each entry relate to the panels dedicated to the Regiment served with. In some instances where a casualty is recorded as attached to another Regiment, his name may alternatively appear within their Regimental Panels (or Bays). Please refer to the on-site Memorial Register Introduction to determine the alternative Panel (or Bay) numbers if you do not find the name within the quoted Panel (or Bay).
Location Information: The Arras Memorial is in the Faubourg-d'Amiens Cemetery, which is in the Boulevard du General de Gaulle in the western part of the town of Arras. The cemetery is near the Citadel, approximately 2 kilometres due west of the railway station.
Arras Memorial.
Historical Information: The French handed over Arras to Commonwealth forces in the spring of 1916 and the system of tunnels upon which the town is built were used and developed in preparation for the major offensive planned for April 1917. The Commonwealth section of the FAUBOURG D'AMIENS CEMETERY was begun in March 1916, behind the French military cemetery established earlier. It continued to be used by field ambulances and fighting units until November 1918. The cemetery was enlarged after the Armistice when graves were brought in from the battlefields and from two smaller cemeteries in the vicinity. The cemetery contains 2,651 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. In addition, there are 30 war graves of other nationalities, most of them German. During the Second World War, Arras was occupied by United Kingdom forces headquarters until the town was evacuated on 23 May 1940. Arras then remained in German hands until retaken by Commonwealth and Free French forces on 1 September 1944. The cemetery contains seven Commonwealth burials of the Second World War. The graves in the French military cemetery were removed after the First World War to other burial grounds and the land they had occupied was used for the construction of the Arras Memorial and Arras Flying Services Memorial. The ARRAS MEMORIAL commemorates almost 35,000 servicemen from the United Kingdom, South Africa and New Zealand who died in the Arras sector between the spring of 1916 and 7 August 1918, the eve of the Advance to Victory, and have no known grave. The most conspicuous events of this period were the Arras offensive of April-May 1917, and the German attack in the spring of 1918. Canadian and Australian servicemen killed in these operations are commemorated by memorials at Vimy and Villers-Bretonneux. A separate memorial remembers those killed in the Battle of Cambrai in 1917. The ARRAS FLYING SERVICES MEMORIAL commemorates nearly 1,000 airmen of the Royal Naval Air Service, the Royal Flying Corps, and the Royal Air Force, either by attachment from other arms of the forces of the Commonwealth or by original enlistment, who were killed on the whole Western Front and who have no known grave. Both cemetery and memorial were designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, with sculpture by Sir William Reid Dick.
No. of Identified Casualties: 34739.
Also see The Hertfordshire Yeomanry W.W.1. Roll of Honor in St.Albans Abbey.

JAMES WILLIAM CARLILE.

Although a life long Conservative there is no evidence, so far, to tie him in with the Primrose League (founded 1883). He died in 1909.

Sir (WILLIAM) WALTER CARLILE 1st Bart, O.B.E.

The only son of Carlile, James William, by his first wife, Mary Woodhams Whiteman, born on 15th June, 1862 at Metham, Yorks and was educated at Harrow and at Clare College, Cambridge. On 22nd June 1883, his coming of age was celebrated on the Gayhurst and Stoke & Goldington estates, Bucks, which his father had bought in 1882.
On 9th April; 1885, he was married to Blanche Ann, third daughter of the Rev. Edward Cadogan, Rector of Wicken, Northants. She was born on 28th February 1862. She takes much interest in the lives of the Buckinghamshire cottagers. She founded and was President of the North Bucks Lace Association (to, which is affiliated the Bedfordshire Lace Association). The object of this Association is to encourage the cottagers to make in their own homes such articles as fichus, lace-trimmed handkerchiefs. tea cloths, fans and children's frocks. The Association employed more than 400 workers and many thousands of pounds worth of lace and lace goods have been sold since its foundation in 1897.
W. W. Carlile seated right front.
Mr. Walter Carlile has served, both in the Bucks Yeomanry and Volunteers, and previously in the Yorkshire Yeomanry. In politics he is a Conservative and Tariff Reformer. He contested North Bucks in 1892, but was defeated by 5153 votes to 4704. In 1895 he contested the seat again, and was successful by 5266 votes to 4830. In 1900 he was again successful, this time by 5101 votes to 4684, a majority of 417. He retained this seat until 1906, when he retired through bad health.
London Gazette Entry.
He was presented with an illuminated address containing the names of over 2000 subscribers, and a large silver bowl bearing a suitable inscription and the dates 1895 - 1906. To Mrs. Walter Carlile was presented a handsome diamond and pearl tiara. The presentations were made by Lord Cottesloe, and were attended by supporters of the Conservative cause from all parts of the constituency. Like his cousin, E.H. Carlile, Walter Carlile had an interest in the Primrose League, as it is reported that he attended a concert, in November of 1899, at the local Stoke Goldington Infants School and asked for the performance to be repeated at a Primrose League meeting at Christmas.
Mr. Walter Carlile, resides at Gayhurst, Newport Pagnell. Gayhurst (- Gotehurst or God's Wood), represents three distinct periods of building. The south wing was a Complete Tudor house built by the Nevills in the fifteenth century. The east front is Elizabethan, having been built by William Muls, about 1590, the father-in-law of Sir Everard Digby, who was executed in connection with the Gunpowder Plot of 1605.
London Gazette Entry.
In 1725 George Wright(e) made another addition to the house in the early Georgian style. In 1830 the estates passed to the Windhams of Fellbrigg Hall, near Cromer, the heiress of which family, Lady Macdonald sold them in 1882 to Mr. J. W. Carlile. A full account of Gayhurst (with view) may be found, in George Lipscomb's History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham, 1847, vol. iv. P. 142. and another account at p. 26 of Note of a Journal, by Mr. J. W. Carlile, issued in 1907 for private circulation; also The Town of Cowper, by Thomas Wright.
Mr. Waiter Carlile is fond of all outdoor sports and has a good knowledge of engineering and is fond of music.
Gayhurst is in the Grafton "country", which pack once killed a fox in the dining room amid much excitement.
Mr. (William) Walter Carlile is a J. P. and D. L. and a county alderman for Bucks. He was a member of, at various times, the following Clubs:- Carlton Junior, Carlton Constitutional, Bath, Windham and the Royal Automobile.
His second marriage was in 1940 and the bride was Catherine Elizabeth Mary, the only daughter of The Reverend Hawkesfield, Rector of the village of Milton Keynes. He died, without issue, on 3rd Jan 1950 aged 87 years and was cremated at Northampton, the Baronetage then became extinct.





Kelly's 1923 Entry.
Gayhurst.
Who's Who 1922 Entry.

ADA MARGARET HAMILTON.

The elder daughter of Sarah Anne (Carlile) and William Morris, she was born on 1st December 1851, and educated privately. On 9 April, 1884, she married William Frederick., elder son of Andrew Hamilton, of Southampton. She resided (-- 1909 --) at 5 Albert Court, Kensington Gore and was a member of the Albemarle and New Century Clubs. She has taken an active interest in the League of Mercy and in the sales of work of the Church Army, and was a member of the Grand Council. She was on the Executive Committee of the Jubilee Habitation of the Primrose League. Her recreation were travelling. In addition to the continent of Europe, she had travelled in the Argentine Republic, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Canary Isles, Ceylon, Egypt. Morocco, Palestine, Uruguay, and U.S.A. In politics her husband was a Unionist, and he was a member of the Reform Club, Pall Mall. Her husband was director of a Tramway company. He was also a member of the Committee of the Albemarle Club, and junior Warden of the Chancery Bar Lodge of Freemasons. They had issue one son.

CHURCH ARMY.

Most members of the London Carlile family had connections in some way or another with the Church Army, which is still in existance today (2006), and this is not surprising, as it was founded by Prebendary Wilson Carlile in 1882 during his time on the staff on St Mary Abbots Church, Kensington, London. As a dynamic and unconventional Church of England curate his vision was to encourage and enable ordinary Christian people to live the good news of Jesus Christ in such a way that others would be attracted to follow Him. Carlile believed very much that the Christian message had to be shared through words and action and he encouraged grooms, coachmen and other working people to witness to their faith in the open air and at packed indoor gatherings.
Index Page References:
Who's Who 1901 and 1922.
Kelly's 1923 Handbook of the Titled, Landed and Official Classes.
Cemetery information courtesy of the C.W.G.C.
Various London Gazette entries.
W.W.Carlile section of the Stoke Goldington Association Web Site.with thanks to Mr. D.George for permission to use extracts.
The Carlile Family (Paisley Branch) by James William Carlile 1909.
Angeltown Baronet Listing.
Ellis Island (U.S.A.) Passengers Arrivals List.
1901 Official Census.
Church Army Official Web Site.
Acknowledgements to Brenda Carlile Whiteman for suppling information relating to the Carlile family.
- THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE -