- THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE - THE PRIMROSE LEAGUE -
prinrose

Gerald Archibald Arbuthnot MP --
Vice-Chancellor 1912-1916.

prinrose
Gerald Archibald Arbuthnot MP
Gerald Archibald Arbuthnot was the son of Maj.-Gen. William Arbuthnot and Selina Moncreiffe and was born at Prince's Gate, Kensington on the 19th December 1872. He was killed in action at Ginchy, Somme 25th September 1916, and buried at Fricourt (Grave/Memorial Reference: II. C. 1.).
Educated privately and at Dartmouth Royal Naval College he was a Midshipman then Sub-Lt R.N. 1885-1891 when he left to work for the Hon. Walter Long M.P. He was Private Secretary to Mr Long when he was President of the Board of Agriculture 1895-9, and Assistant Private Secretary to him when he was President of the Local Government Board 1901-2, and Chief Secretary for Ireland 1905.
Gerald Arbuthnot was elected as the Conservative M.P. for Burnley in 1910 and was appointed Vice Chancellor of the Primrose League 1912-1916.
He joined the R.N.V.R. at the outbreak of the Great War and commanded a minesweeping squadron in the North Sea 1914-1916. He transferred to become a 2nd Lt. 2nd Bn, Grenadier Guards at the beginning of 1916.
Married in St James's, Piccadilly, 6 February 1894, (Mary Johanna Antoinette) Dulcie Oppenheim (born February 1868; died 24th November 1945), daughter of Charles Augustus Oppenheim and Isabelle, nee Frith.
Had issue:
Frances Gertrude Arbuthnot. (born 21st Mar 1896, died 28th April 1938)
Cynthia Isabelle Theresa Arbuthnot. (born 15th January 1898, died July 1989)
Dorothea Helen Mary Arbuthnot. (born 27th July 1901, died 12th January 1942)
Citadel New Military Cemetery
Cemetery: CITADEL NEW MILITARY CEMETERY, FRICOURT
Country: France
Locality: Somme
Location Information: Fricourt is a village about 5 kilometres east of Albert and Citadel New Military Cemetery is approximately 2.5 kilometres south of Fricourt on the east side of the road to Bray-sur-Somme.
Historical Information: Fricourt was captured by the 17th Division on 2 July 1916 but the southern part of the commune, in which this cemetery is situated, was already in Allied hands. On the road from Fricourt to Bray, before it reaches the top of the plateau, are two points 71 metres above sea level, known to the Army as 71 North and 71 South. A little further on was a feature known as the Citadel. The cemetery was begun by French troops and from August 1915, when the first Commonwealth burials were made, it was known as the Citadel Military Cemetery (Point 71). It was used until November 1916 and once in August 1918. The great majority of the burials were carried out from field ambulances before the Battles of the Somme. In the Autumn of 1916 the Citadel became a large camp for units withdrawn from the line. The cemetery contains 378 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, 15 of them unidentified. The cemetery was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.
No. of Identified Casualties: 363
Index PageThe bottom section courtesy of the C.W.G.C.